Eco Friendly Consumer Candle Questions
As an Eco-conscious consumer here are some questions you might want to ask the next time you buy a candle to find out if you are getting not only what is the healthiest candle for your home, but what is most sustainable for the planet.
- When the candle burns does it leave black soot around the rim?
- When you light the candle, how deep and wide is the wax pool? In general, the larger the liquid wax pool the greater the hot throw?
- No type of wax burns cleaner than another wax. A good burning candle is an art that depends on these criteria:
- wick type and size (carburetor)
- jar neck size opening determines if there is sufficient air around the wick (air induction)
- wax and fragrance solubility (clean fuel)
- Is the wax from a sustainable source, e.g. no rainforest or wildlife destruction?
- Is the wick from certified organic cotton or hemp?
- What percentage natural fragrance do is used?
- Is the candle and the packaging produced in a certified fair trade factory?
- Is the wax non GMO, grown without petrochemical fertilizers and harmful pesticides?
- Do all the ingredients meet or exceed all CA Prop. 65 requirements: especially no heavy metals or toxic solvents?
- Is the wax from a tree crop (palm) that sequesters carbon or a row crop (soy) that destroys biodiversity?
- Who is the oil or wax supplier? It’s good to know who your supporting with your purchase: a multi-national corporation whose decisions are mostly profit-driven by the shareholders or a family owned organic sustainable farm.
- Is it chemically distilled, hydrogenated or contain any synthetics?
- Is the packaging compostable?
- Did greater cost go into packaging or providing the highest quality naturally occurring raw ingredients?
- Are the scents 100% essential oil or do they contain synthetics (except for rose, or most floral vanilla, sandalwood, or most fruits except citrus) scents?
- Are the jars made from recycled glass? Generally, the heavier the glass the less likely it will crack under heat.
- Is the glass reusable and/or are candle refills offered for the glass containers?
- What percentage of the company profits go to support non-profits?